Here are some important facts about prostate cancer:
- Prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in the US today
- Prostate cancer is the 2nd leading cause of cancer death in men
- 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer
- The most common factor is age
- Prostate cancer is more common in African-American men than Caucasian men
- African- American men & men with a family history of prostate cancer are at a greater risk of getting or dying from prostate cancer.
These facts are quite astonishing, yet prostate cancer is rarely in the news. Virginia Urology has a strong commitment to raising the awareness of prostate cancer throughout the community. Virginia Urology has been a title sponsor of the American Cancer Society’s African American Men’s Health Day where we have educated over 1,200 men about prostate cancer and have offered free screenings at this event. We hosted the first Great Prostate Cancer Challenge in September 2008. This 5k run/1 mile walk and a health fair was one of 5 events held in other large cities across the country to raise money for prostate cancer awareness and research. The Richmond community was very supportive and we were able to raise over $100,000 for prostate cancer research.